Monday, May 18, 2009

Happy Birthday, Rob!

Today is my oldest brother Rob's 49th birthday!! The difficult part of having a brother that's several years older than me, is that it meant he was "out of the house" just as I was starting to really grow up. Despite that, I have many fond memories. Here is a quick list that I thought of to show honor to him on his big day. This may not mean a lot to anyone else, but I hope you enjoy it, Rob. I love you and wish you a Happy Birthday all the way from Colorado.....



This list is in no particular order. Just random wonderful memories:


  • strange infatuation with RC pop....no other cola would do

  • "Jingle Balls" underwear (found during my doing your wash for $$$ when you were in your 20's)

  • "Rock Mantel" - we do this with Josie and JT today!

  • BRAZZ band rehearsals in our basement in Bloomington

  • Jefferson and Normandale Band Concerts

  • Mom and I praying over your moldy marching band uniform before a performance

  • watching you on TV playing your tim tom drums? during the bowl parade in TX

  • scratching your sock marks on your legs for $$$

  • your huge bowls of ice cream you had since you were in charge of dishing up

  • listening to and eventually doing WLOL Morning Breakfast Show jingles on the radio

  • your fanny pack, shorts, and tank top fashion phase

  • your camero

  • your Honda civics #1 AND #2

  • your bedroom in Bloomington with drums and the draft table

  • your commutes down to the farm for work

  • your movie theatre job

  • playing "drums" at the dinner table using the eating utensils

  • your large vocabulary and pun competitions with dad

  • graciously taking Nancy Figeroa to Northfield's Prom

  • insistence of only buying Beta tapes verses VHS

  • setting up the sound system for my driveway carnival so we could play the Monster Mash

  • introducing me (forcefully) to cracking my knuckles which I still do to this day

  • Gerby Alexander

  • Jefferson Jaguars garage sales

  • the unforgettable aroma of your rust orange McDonald's uniform after your shift

No comments: