Friday, February 11, 2011

Sweet Gabby Girl

This last Wednesday, I had to do something that was VERY difficult; put a dog down.  Now, this was no ordinary dog and the circumstances weren't ordinary circumstances.  This was my parents dog, Gabby.  With my parents' somewhat recent transition to a condo that doesn't allow dogs last June we became Gabby's new family.  My mom mourned the situation but I'm sure always had hope that someday Gabby would again live with them.  Gabby did wonderfully with the dry mountain climate.  She had more spring in her step and was very much adored.  The bummer, however, is that she had taken to nipping.  At first we explained it away because "that's what small dogs do."  But after witnessing her doing it to Josie under calm peaceful circumstances for no apparent reason, we had to make the decision that she could no longer live with us.  I don't know her exact age, but I think she was 13 or 14 years old...OLD.  We think that perhaps she was in pain or her eyesight was sketchy causing her to bite.  We don't know.  After discussing things with my mom, it was decided to put her down since an old biting dog is essentially un-adoptable.  Sigh... 

I am so proud of my two kids.  JT had really grown attached to Gabby so this really hit him hard (not to mention me).  Both Josie and JT came into the vet office with me and we all were able to hold Gabby, kissing her, and reassuring her of our love as she peacefully passed.  She is missed terribly but as I've said to others, MY heaven includes dogs and I know she'll be waiting for us in the Family Mansion.  God loved the dog so much that he gave them his own name backwards.

No comments: