Sunday, January 25, 2009

Like...totally...to the max....

As many of you know, my birthday is on Christmas Eve. So, as a little gift to myself, I planned the party of my dreams a month later to celebrate turning 40. I don't know if this really ended up being a gift to Eric since I took the burden off of him. Regardless, it was a blast; a blast from the past to be more specific. I threw an 80's party and asked my guests to come dressed up as anyone/anything 80's. And, to my surprise, they all came through. To the left, you see myself pictured with the Whaley's, Mark and Melissa. They were the 1st prize winners. He came as Judd Nelson from the Breakfast Club and she came as Madonna from her material girl days.



Next, we have Troy and Nita Born. She came as a Valley Girl...totally 80's with the big hair and hair-sprayed bangs. He came as Maverick from Top Gun with flight suit and sun glasses. Ah....they certainly "Take My Breath Away."



Lastly, but not least, our 3rd place winners, Phil and Liz Shanks. They came as themselves from the 80's. He wore a suit (pin-strips and all) that he actually wore back then. She came with a pillow stuffed in her sweater pretending to be pregnant which she was in the 80's. Very clever!
Below you have Eric and our friend, Peter Osberg. They both wore letter jackets from the 80's. Eric's is his actual jacket from Class of 1985. Peter went shopping at the thrift store and took the time to 'acid wash' his jeans with bleach for the party.
I had such a good time that evening. I went all out and had the evening catered and hired a DJ. That allowed me to really enjoy myself since the rest was being taken care of. We danced the evening away in the perfectly tacky basement that we decorated for the evening. My dear friend, Karen flew in and spent the week with me to prep for the party. I know I couldn't have pulled off the evening without her. She inspired me and we reminisced our days together in the 80's. I've known her that long!
So, for those of you who have not yet turned that magic number, I suggest taking a tip from me and plan your own party. It may not be an 80's themed party, but do something for yourself exactly how you would want it. It makes it all worth while. Thanks for the idea from my Crafty Girl friends, Cheryl and Jean. I got the idea from you. Until next time!





2 comments:

Arthritic Hag said...

I must say..having attended the party..it was one of the best ever!!

Sara K. said...

Like, oh my gosh! What a totally tubular party idea!

OK, as I'm scratching my head here, trying to think of some more cunning 80s-speak, I just remembered a notebook I had in 9th grade, and I had written that Valley Girl jargon all over it... things like "totally awesome" and "gag me with a spoon" and "barf me out" -- were we just nuts back then or what?!?! :)

Hey... I'll join the ranks of you cool 40s folk in May! Yippee!